Founded in 2011, the NYC Special Education Collaborative – a city-wide, membership organization committed to supporting quality education programs for students with disabilities in charter schools – now serves over 90% of NYC’s charter schools.
The Collaborative is the result of the merger between four independent borough-based special education co-operatives originally organized by the New York City Charter School Center.
- Increase schools capacity to successfully educate students with special needs
- Advocate for laws, policies, and practices to ensure special education accountability and reform
- Develop a national example of a charter sector special education support team
Impact on the Charter Sector
- Supported schools with programming to increase special education proficiency rates on state math and ELA assessments
- Defined special education strategy, program and supports for new charter schools
- Advocated NYC DOE to increase Committee of Special Education staffing to adequately work with non-district schools for special education supports, services and compliance
- Focused charter schools on moving students to a least restrictive environment, at 3.5 times the rate of district schools
- Designed and piloted a shared staffing model for special education supports
- Launched a new special education student compliance system for the NYC charter sector
All membership levels include five categories of support that ensure our special education services are customizable for your school’s unique needs.
School Supports & Advocacy – Schools are able to customize their hours of support for school visits, audits and trainings. All levels of membership include advocacy and technical assistance.
Professional Development – We offer a wide range of training, from crisis/restraint to instructional and leadership training – all free for members.
Specialized Conferences – The Collaborative offers both an annual late spring conference and several mini-conferences throughout the year, free for members.
Resources – Membership includes access to our online library and in-house library.